* COVID-19 ADVISORY
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are unable to accept unsolicited submissions by mail at this time. If you have already submitted your manuscript to our office, but have not yet received a response, we assure you that your submission has been stored securely, and we look forward to reviewing it when we are able to return to our office. In the meantime, thank you for your patience.
So, you want to be an Owlkids Books author? Welcome!
Follow these five easy steps to get your submission into the hands of one of our editors:
1. Come up with a brilliant idea in one of the following genres:
- Picture books for ages 3–5 / 3–7 / 4–8
- Non-fiction for ages 5–8 / 7–10 / 8–12 / 10–14
- Early fiction for ages 6–9
- Graphic novels (fiction and nonfiction) for all ages
2. Write the manuscript.
- Picture books should be no more than 900 words.
- For non-fiction, please include a synopsis, a detailed outline, a writing sample, and a list of competitive titles.
- For middle grade fiction, please submit a brief synopsis, a chapter overview, and a few sample chapters. (We will contact you for the complete work if we are interested.)
3. Reread, revise, repeat!
- Is it too long? Time to kill some of those darlings!
- Does it rhyme? Try it in prose. We are not interested in rhyming picture books unless exceptionally written and fantastically original.
- Has it been done before? Freshen it up with a new take. Ask yourself whether your work is offering something new.
4. Write a one-page cover letter.
Make sure to include your manuscript’s topic, themes, intended audience/age range, a bit about yourself, your writing experience, and why you chose the subject. This is your “elevator pitch” so make it count!
Use the online submissions form below, or send a physical copy to our office address: 1 Eglinton Avenue East, Toronto ON, M4P 3A1.
But before you hit send…
If you want to give your manuscript the best chance of success, ask yourself the following questions:
- Are you an adult? Great! We cannot accept submissions from writers younger than 18.
- Are you submitting materials you expect to have returned to you? Since we are unable to return any submissions, please do not sent original art or anything you don’t want to part with.
- Have you checked out our books? Browse our recent catalogs and familiarize yourself with the types of books we publish. Is your idea a fit?
- Will your manuscript make us laugh, wonder, cry, or feel the love? Then you’re on the right track! We seek to spark kids’ imaginations through every subject and genre. Show us STEM/STEAM content that induces giggles, environmental awareness that sparks a revolutionary idea, social justice that opens minds to new perspectives, or a fresh adventure that subverts expectations.
It’s a date!
If your submission meets the requirements outlined above, we guarantee it will be reviewed by a member of the Owlkids Books staff. We publish into a competitive market and are looking for books specific to our list. We receive a LOT of submissions and have a limited staff, so although we can’t respond personally to every submission, we do read each and every one carefully. If you haven’t heard from us after three months, please assume we are not the right house for your manuscript.
Owlkids Books is committed to creating books that represent a diversity of voices, communities, and experiences. We believe that all children should be able to see themselves reflected in the books they read.