Coaching Program for Underrepresented Writers! – Application Information
Owlkids Book and Magazine Editorial Coaching Program for Underrepresented Writers
Owlkids is inviting submissions from emerging writers whose perspectives have been historically excluded from the publishing industry, and who are currently working on a picture book, early chapter book, non-fiction book, or magazine article for children and seeking feedback on their written work. (See below for manuscript guidelines.)
We will select one fiction writer and one non-fiction writer to work with an Owlkids editor for an eight-week period, starting on May 2, 2022. The scheduling details during that period will be tailored to the selected individuals.
- To support voices that have been historically underrepresented in the children’s publishing industry in North America.
- To offer mentorship and feedback on written works and provide insight into the editorial process for both books and magazines.
- To give writers a glimpse into the publishing process and behind-the-scenes access to editors, marketers, and designers.
- To work with writers who are passionate about writing for children to develop a publishable writing project.
Opportunities for you
- An eight-week coaching program tailored to your needs as a writer, with a focus on either:
- Pitching, developing, and writing fiction for Owlkids Books or Chirp and Chickadee magazines.
- Pitching, developing, and writing non-fiction for Owlkids Books or Chirp, Chickadee, and OWL magazines.
- Varied mentorship sessions on all aspects of publishing — including writing, editing, social media, marketing, and design — with industry professionals.
- A session with published writers on the Owlkids roster.
What we’re looking for
- Picture book manuscripts for readers aged 3–7
- Early chapter book manuscripts in progress for readers aged 6–9
- Children’s non-fiction book proposals with writing samples for readers of all ages
- Non-fiction feature article pitches with writing samples catered to Chickadee and OWL magazines (readers aged 6-13)
- Short story proposals with writing samples for Chirp, Chickadee, and OWL magazines (readers of all ages)
Who can apply
- Emerging writers who identify with cultures and/or communities whose perspectives have been historically excluded from children’s publishing.
- Writers 18 or older who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
- Writers who have never been published by Owlkids.
To apply, please send your work in progress to email@example.com by March 14, 2022. We will respond to the selected applicants by April 11, 2022. Only applicants who are selected for the coaching program will be contacted.
*All rights to the work completed during the coaching program will remain with the author.